Reading books and sharing story time with children from a very early age has proven to have great benefits. Have a look at the new videos launched by Wexford CYPSC to find out more. The videos focus on three different age groups from 0 to 5 and were made under the direction of Wexford County Childcare Committee with funding provided through the Healthy Ireland Fund. You can view them at //www.wexfordcypsc.ie/early-literacy
Overall – Helpful Tips
Tips for Encouraging Reading:
- Find a comfortable and quiet space to cuddle up and share a book
- Sharing books is quality time, plan as part of bedtime or bath routine
- Reduce distractions, turn off television, mobile phones, radios
- Leave books around the house, so your child can pick them up at any time.
- Be a role model – let your child see you reading (magazines, books etc.)
- Reading aloud with your child for 10 minutes daily – regardless of reading ability!
- Non-verbal communication is equally important – using animated facial expressions and gestures supports children’s understanding of language.
- Encourage word and number association when out and about with your child
- Visit your local library, great resource of free books – Choose, look at and talk about books together.
- Share books with family, friends, Pre-schools and give books as gifts