The Next Step programme is a transition programme for sixth class students designed to help them prepare for their move to secondary school. The programme is delivered in the school by a WLD facilitator and is run over the course of a day.
The aims of the programme are:
- To allow students to express their feelings about moving from primary to post primary school in a safe and confidential environment
- To provide opportunities for the students to develop the skill sets needed to successfully transfer to post primary and to manage the changes involved
- Explain the practical rules of the post primary school setting such as timetabling, lockers etc.
- Give practical advice around accessing help and support if or when it might be needed
- Encourage the students to discover a sense of themselves as individuals, and the friendships they can form
- Allow the students opportunities to explore the nature of change in their lives
The programme is supported by WLD through the County Wexford Education Network with funding from the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) and is aimed at supporting primary schools who do not already have access to a programme of this kind from other agencies.