The Wexford Social Prescribing Service is a free support, embedded in Wexford Local Development, that aims to reduce social isolation and improve people’s health and wellbeing.
The purpose of Social Prescribing is to work with individuals to explore what is important for their life and wellbeing, help them identify, local activities and services they can benefit from and support them to start engaging in these services.
The Wexford Social Prescribing Service is available in the catchment areas identified in Co. Wexford as;
- Wexford Urban
- Enniscorthy Urban
Social Prescribing is about supporting the health and wellbeing of people by using community-based activities and supports, such as exercise, art, reading and gardening. There may also be an opportunity to attend self-help sessions such as stress control.
Lisa, our Social Prescribing Link Worker will talk to you about what matters to you, and help empower you to help take control over your own health and wellbeing.
The programme is for you if you feel that you need some support to mind your health and wellbeing or if you feel lonely, stressed, anxious or depressed. Using resources within the community will help you to benefit from meeting other people or taking part in a new activity.
Social Prescribing provides you with new opportunities to:
- Learn a new skill/revisit an old hobby
- Improve your health and wellbeing
- Meet new people
- Increase self confidence and self-esteem
- Become involved in your community
How We Support You
- Discuss issues you’re facing
- Explore what is important for you
- Find local activities and services
- Give you support to access them
How it Works
- Your GP or other health professional will refer you to the Social Prescribing link worker or you can refer yourself.
- The link worker will meet you to discuss your needs and the various Social Prescribing options available.
- You begin your chosen activity with support from your link worker.
- The link worker will make contact with you after a number of sessions to discuss how you are getting on.
If you are interested in participating in the Social Prescribing for Health and Wellbeing Programme, talk to your GP or other Health Professional or contact the Social Prescribing link worker in your area to find out more.
Our Wexford Social Prescribing Link Worker is:
Lisa Johnston 0872124244